What is General Surgery?
Despite its name, is a surgical specialty that focuses on abdominal organs, intestines
including esophagus, stomach, small bowel, colon, liver, pancreas, gallbladder and bile
ducts, and often the thyroid gland. They also deal with diseases involving the skin,
breast, and hernias. These surgeons deal mainly in the Torso.
What is Laparoscopic Surgery?
Also called minimally invasive surgery (MIS), is a modern surgical technique in which
operations in the abdomen are performed through small incisions (usually 0.5 – 1.5 cm)
as compared to larger incisions needed in traditional surgical procedures.
Advantages of Laparoscopic Surgery
• Smaller incision
• Improved cosmetic appearance of scar
• Less post-operative discomfort (much less pain)
• Shorter stay in hospital
• Quicker recovery time
Most common Laparoscopic procedures
• Laparoscopic cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal)
• Laparoscopic appendectomy
• Laparoscopic hernia repairs
• Laparoscopic colon/rectal resection (for cancers, diverticulosis, polyps